[vdr] Is EPG data encrypted?

Hi,

(If you don't care why I'm asking, skip to the "Here's my question"
paragraph, and sorry if this question is not 100% on-topic)

I am using a TechnoTrend FF DVB-C card with VDR and VDRadmin, and it
works absolutely perfectly. Many thanks to Klaus and everybody else
contributing.

Since I am a bit of a series freak (Friends, Simpsons, Car is Born)
I am using the "auto timer" of VDRadmin to make sure that the shows
are grabbed even when stations change their schedules. Which they
do all too often.

The cable service is almost 100% encrypted and the charge per card
is too high for buying another. So I am perfectly happy with having
one subscription for that one DVB card.

What I'd like, though, is to have a budget card whose sole job would
be to do EPG scans. Recording a 2+ hour movie can easily have you
miss a show on Discovery Channel, as their shows mostly run one
hour or less. Within that 2 hour movie I could miss an episode of
"A Car is Born" which I would probably prefer to record instead of
the movie.

Here's my question: all channels are encrypted, and one DVB card
with a CAM is busy recording something. Would it be possible for
a budget card without a CAM/subscription to do EPG scans
simultaneously?

(That is, is the EPG data contained in the encrypted data stream
or is it always unencrypted?)

Thanks!

Best regards,
Klaus.