[vdr] Re: VDR and Amd64

Hi,

> I also have a VDR on an AMD64 machine. Mine is running stable
> in native 64-bit with OSD-Teletext-, mailbox-, tvtv- and dvd-
> plugin and patched with AC3overDVB.

Nice to hear. That gives me some hope ;-)

> Do you have a picture on TV-out? The logs could indicate that
> everything is working fine on the second card.

I can't look for this - I've no legacy TV ... ;-) But I think the
primary card is working (syslog says that MPEG encoder was detected).
And I can see the OSD. I havn't tried yet multiple recordings on
different transponders to see if both cards are receiving input.

> BTW, am I right that you want to run your VDR in native 64-bit
> too? If so, one thing you should never ever do is
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86". That's because your operating system is
> an AMD64-Gentoo _and_not_a_x86. Take a look into the technotes
> of GENTOO. Download the sources and compile them.

Hmm - is there any other way to use the gentoo ebuilds masked for
~x86?  Or must I compile the tarballs? Or should I create my own
ebuilds?

> In order to compile the plugins successfully you simply have to
> enhance the line CXXFLAGS at the top of each plugin-Makefile
> (first appearance) with -fPIC:
>
> f.e.: "CXXFLAGS ?= -O3 -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual _-fPIC_"
>      from the dvd-plugin-Makefile

Can I append "-fpic" in /etc/make.conf and add pic to USE or is
this bad? Adding pic to USE alone has no effect for vdr plugins.
For emerging glibc USE="pic" results in appending -fpic to the
gcc calls. Must I use -fPIC or -fpic? The gcc manual is no real
help ...

Greetings,
Bernd

--
Steal my cash, car and TV - but leave the computer!
        -- Soenke Lange <soenke@escher.north.de>

Home | Main Index | Thread Index