[vdr] Re: VDR exit code with plugins

> Am Samstag 23 Oktober 2004 17:20 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> > Pasi Juppo wrote:
> > > I still have problem with VDR and plugins. Each time a plugin crashes
> > > (e.g. MP3) VDR crashes or exists with exist code 0. runvdr -script
> > > interpretes this as normal close and stops.
> > >
> > > Is there any way to get VDR to exit with non zero exit code in case of
> > > failure?
> >
> > What kind of plugin crash are you referring to?
> > Does this happen at program startup or when VDR has already been runnning
> > for a while? Is it a segmentation fault?
>
> I can't speak for the OP, but i think this usually happens after vdr is
> running for a while and it is allways a plugin that causes this (no special
> plugin to mention here, there are different ones that can cause this). Lets
> assume its a segfault in the plugin, can this cause vdr to exit with status
> 0 ?

I missed Klaus' email so I reply to this one.

Plugin crashes come from normal usage (vdr might have been running for
quite some time) where plugin simply performs illegal operation. For
instance I got crash from MP3 plugin when I tried to play accidentally
.txt file in the same directory. Also, OSD PiP causes crash when I choose
e.g. MTV3 (Finland, Vaasa) for PiP and start jumping channels forward till
VDR changes mux (I presume, not sure) and PiP does not tolerate it.

Anyhow, these are more or less plugin related problems but is there any
way to catch the exception in VDR and exit with error code? Or better yet,
recover from the fault and start the plugin again (preferably error
message to /var/log/messages about the happening).

One more thing. I don't think it is segmentation fault. VDR simply
shutdowns itself (no error messages to log or to the shell).

Br, Pasi

Home | Main Index | Thread Index