[vdr] softdevice over DFB (was: Interlacing)

Nicolas Huillard wrote:
I don't even know if softdevice uses the field interrupt provided by DirectFB (if it is even provided).
It's supposed to do that,at least for supported Matrox cards. Well, I tried something last night, but no success yet.

You'll have to decribe to us how you solve the problem of having VDR running in the background to handle recordings, while having freevo on the screen. Either mask the softdevice output "behind" an opaque layer, or use the xine-plugin, using freevo to launch and stop the xine-ui/dfb-xine front-end, keeping vdr uselessly feeding the pipe when xine is not connected to it.
Some Freevo developers are already addressing this, if I understood them right, they're using streaming in any of the various paths the're trying (vdr-xine, sofdevice or completely new client), so a vdr deamon should stay alive all the time taking care of recordings, and if one wants to view live TV from within Freevo, vdr-xine, softdevice or another client might be started and will connect to the deamon which will run with streamdev-server. Another approach, if I understood them right, would be to controll everything in a completely new client with "freevo-native" OSD via SVDRP, and again streaming. I think it also needs further improvement in streamdev, not to stop streaming on switching channels for example, I think it was already discussed with the streamdev author.

Softmpeg is really unusable now, right? I can't even compile it with the current DirectFB, DFB++ and FusionSound CVS versions, I would have loved to see it in action, too...
My latest build is dated 2004-07-08 with CVS dated 2004-07-01 and DirectFB/FusionSound CVS 2004-06-16. This was with VDR 1.3.11
Didn't check since that time.
Well, I think I won't downgrade now the whole DFB stuff. Eventually softmpeg some day will get some more attention again...

possible if softdevice would switch back to composite signal). Maybe you guessed already, my TV has only one single SCART connector and I don't want to plug/unplug cables, but just use a RC button to switch output signal format...

There are threads on the directfb-users ML about the SCART signal output from the Matrox crtc2. Basically, it works as expected... You could try something like a VDR commands.conf command to run another DFB app that simply switch the output, using a patched matrox driver...
Yes, that might be a solution. Thank you, I was involved in some of those threads myself, too. Nevertheless, I still have some strange issues with DFB initialization of the TV-out. I have to dig further...

Lucian

Home | Main Index | Thread Index