[vdr] Re: Interlacing

Tony Houghton a écrit :
What's hardware Xvmc? Just the stuff that ATI and NVidia cards do to
convert 800x600 non-interlaced to PA or NTSCL?
XvMC = X Video Motion Compensation = the stuff that allow Xfree86 video drivers to directly access the hardware to feed it with MPEG2 streams (or so). MPEG2 decoding is mostly hardware, then.

The reason I want to run X on it is so that I can use the same PC for
torrents and aMule, because I dual boot my main PC and would lose my
place in queues when I wanted to play a Windows game. I think aMule has
a client-server mode though, and I could run the curses version of
torrent if the Matrox FB driver supports the console.
Use daemons for this stuff. There should exist.

I'd like it to be reasonably easy to play MPEG4 (DivX etc) on it too, ie
easy enough for my parents to manage. Does VDR's mplayer plugin work
with outputs other than a FF card?
I stiff have to configure this, but the mplayer plugin is basically an interface that allow you to select a file, then run an external command with this file as parameter. The command is mplayer.sh, a script that takes configuration parameters in a file, and run mplayer with lots of options. The default conf uses the FF-DVB card as output, but you can change it and user DFB or Xv - whatever mplayer has.

I don't really see the point of using a PC if it's not going to do
anything besides play and record TV, there are consumer machines that
can do that with less hassle.
It' much more fun to tune a driver than to barely watch idiot shows on average TVs.

I think the main put-off is not being able to use the DXR3's TV-out with
anything except MPEG streams. ISTR seeing Vdr plugins for use as a shell
terminal and even X server, but whether they'll work with the DXR3
output instead of FF DVB output, or even at all with 1.3.x...
DXR3 is basically the MPEGS + OSD output of the FF cards, upon which VDR's output model is done. So the X or terminal plugins should work there. Simply don't expect something marvelous, because you will be limited to the OSD resolution (640 x 480 @ 8 bpp or so), and it should be slow.

--
NH

Home | Main Index | Thread Index