[vdr] Re: vdr-xine start / stop in a dedicated HTPC context

syrius.ml@no-log.org a écrit :
Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard@ghs.fr> writes:

Hi,

vdr + softdevice was a single program to start and stop, but vdr +
vdr-xine is a server and a client.
I am in the context of a dedicated HTPC : when I start it, both
programs must run. When I stop it, both must stop. I have no keyboard
or mouse to handle problems.
The "/etc/init.d/vdr" script starts the vdr back-end (runvdr, which in
turn runs vdr). The vdr user runs "startx" and have a "~/.xinitrc"
script that run "xine-ui" with options.

Problems, questions :
* how do I restart just the xine-ui from the LIRC remote ?
how do you launch xine-ui
I currently log in as user vdr, then type "startx"... This launch the X server with the single app "xine-ui". This requires a keyboard, which has not it's place below the TV...

* can I be sure that when vdr restarts (restart menu option), xine
will reconnect flawlessly and get the stream when it comes back (for
now, it does not work like this here) ?
no idea, restart xine as well (i guess you launch xine-ui with the
vdr://blabla/url as option)
or use the --stdctl xine-ui's option to make it reopen the vdr://url

* how do I make both problems dependent ? Is it desirable ?
* more generaly : how do people handle this ?
I'm using freevo + its vdr_xine plugin.
Freevo handles videos/music/pictures/weather/&stuff and I use the
freevo's vdr_xine plugin and vdr+vdr-streamdev+vdr-xine to watch tv.
In that case freevo and vdr run all the time and xine-ui is launched and
controlled from freevo.

freevo is the only one receiving LIRC events, it then controls vdr
thru svdrp or thru xine --stdctl.
I guess it's also an elegant way to watch DivX, pictures, listen to OGG, etc. with no FF-card (more elegant in this case than using vdr-plugins that transcode to MPEG2).

--
NH

Home | Main Index | Thread Index