[vdr] Re: MPlayer quality setting for lavc on DXR3

Tony Houghton wrote:
> What quality setting would you recommend I use for MPlayer's lavc filter
> to playback on a DXR3? mplayer.sh uses 5000 (with 9000 commented out).
> According to man mplayer values 1-31 are "fixed qscale" and 32- are
> "fixed bitrate in kBits". Does 5000-9000 seem about right? What sort of
> effect does it have on performance?

The lavc setting only has a very small performance impact. Actually it
was set to 5000 because mplayer seems to have some internal problems when
playing some divx videos - scenes with rapid movements are sometimes
jerky though the processor is only working at a load of ~50% or even less.

You could try it with 0 (max. quality) and if you have a file that is
jerky though there is plenty of processing power left then you should
start lowering this value by 500 or 1000 starting from 10000.

Cheers,
Juri

Home | Main Index | Thread Index