[vdr] Re: Fonts and aspect ratios under VDR

Michal Dobrzynski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been wondering whether it's possible to have fonts optimized for
> 16:9 displays in VDR. Would this be practical? I notice that the fonts
> look best when my TV is set to 4:3 mode (but all programming is
> anamorphic so I have to use 16:9) and they stretch out and look a bit
> fat in 16:9 mode.
>
> Is this a hard limitation forced by the resolution of the OSD (not
> enough horizontal reolution) or would it be possible to have anamorphic
> optimized fonts? Thanks in advance for any response.
>
> Regards,
> Michal Dobrzynski
>
> P.S. Are there any utilities/VDR plugins that would allow for viewing
> of VDR fonts outside of VDR or the loading of truetype fonts into VDR
> without conversion (ie with the conversion done at load-time)?

The fonts are derived from normal X11 font files, through the
'genfontfile' program (see the calls to it in the Makefile).

You can use any font that you like, convert it and replace the
respective font*.c file with it.

I don't want any truetype stuff in VDR, but of course you can write
a plugin that does such things and sets other fonts by calling
cFont::SetFont(eDvbFont Font, void *Data) with Data pointing to a font
dynamically generated at runtime.

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index