[vdr] Re: Fonts and aspect ratios under VDR

Hi,

not covered in the original mail but I really wonder why there's no OSD
adaption to the current aspect ration.

At the moment I have two options:
1) set the OSD size to suite the TV's 4:3 size
disadvantage: with 16:9 movies OSD misses parts at the top and in the bottom
(color keys and replay status bar)

2) set the OSD size to suite the TV's 16:9 size
disadvantage: with 4:3 broadcasts some OSD is places around the middle of
the screen which looks quite bad, namley the replay status bar and the
current broadcast info (LiveTV -> OK key pressed). Also full size menus
could be some lines bigger.

I know this has been discussed some time ago, but I think a size adaptive
OSD would make VDR even better ;-)

So maybe someone can comment this ideas (please don't shoot me if they are
stupid: I don't know about the technical/driver possibilities):
- LiveTV: AFAIK VDR doesn't "look" at the displayed stream, so it's not
possible to do some aspect ratio finding.
Would it be possible in transfer mode?
Would it be possible for the DVB driver to find the aspect ratio?

- Playback: VDR should have the video's dimension and could act on it.
I think this could easily work with videos that don't have the black border.
How difficult would it be for VDR to find the black border (or a border
that's at least XY% black)?

If both can't be done, maybe we could get a "switch-OSD-height" feature?
I'd vote for two height settings in OSD setup which should be switched
automatically (if possible) or via key.

Regards,
Andreas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index