[vdr] Re: bitstreamout vs. AC3overDVB

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 02:07:47PM +0100, bernd_muc@gmx.de wrote:
> At 12:16 09.11.2004 +0100, Werner wrote:
>
> >> after googling for the answer for a few hours without big success, maybe
> >> someone here can describe the advantages/disadvantages/diffenrences
> >between
> >> these two options to get AC3 over the J2 connector.
> >
> >Depends on your AV receiver as you may already have googled out ;^)
>
> Well, yes, I figured that out  :-)
>
> Two more specific questions then:
>
> Do you still need an extra s/pdif sound card for bitstreamout or can it
> meanwhile be used without an extra card?
> Do I always need alsa for bitstreamout?

Hmmm ... how should ``AC3 loop through sound card'' work without
a sound card?  I'm using the plugin _and_ J2 connected to the
S/P-DIF in of the sound card.  This because the sound chip
onboard of the mainboard can handle the 5V TTL signal level
and I've an optical S/P-DIF breakout.  Together with the mute
script this works perfect.  The plugin was the result of the
the patched ac3play for replay and the later AC3 patch for VDR
1.0 to get AC3 live from Pro7.  The later one was part of the
DVD patch for VDR 1.0+ and after Klaus has moved VDR to the
plugin scheme, I've moved the patch to the bitstreamout plugin.

Nevertheless my AV receiver would work and has worked with
the AC3overDVB patch of Stefan Huelswitt ... and for this
reason I'm working currently on the AC3 replaying firmware
for the FF DVB cards.

        Werner

--
AC3 loop through sound card http://bitstreamout.sourceforge.net/