[vdr] Re: VDR 1.3.15 gets unusable slow after a short time

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
post wrote:

After some time has passed, vdr seems to go to sleep. It still gives the
live-signal on the FF output, but it does not react on remote-keypresses.
In that state vdr is still running, and absolutely no error messages or
abnormalities in /var/log/messages.

I just did the test: Pressing the MENU button, and waiting. Nothing
happens, looks like a complete ignore, live-signal still running on the FF
output. Finally the menu-screen comes up, about 5 MINUTES after the menu
key was pressed.

What could be the problem?

After a restart of vdr everything seems to be normal, but then suddently
that behaviour kicks in without further notice. All the rest on that
machine is running normally, I also have xorg-x11 + kde 3.3.1 installed,
and actually I am watching the live-signal on my monitor using kvdr.
Could be the old NPTL problem.

Try

 export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

before running VDR.
I thought, the NPTL problem has already been fixes in 1.3.13 (I just
searched the mailinglist-archive, I saw several success reports concerning
a NPTL enabled system).

So did I - but apparently it isn't so.
The next VDR version will contain the NPTL check again.
Could you make it a compile-time option, controllable through Make.conf? 1.3.15 runs nice on my NPTL-system so far, so I'd like to keep on using it with NPTL enabled.

BTW Klaus, I've read you use SuSe. Why don't you try Gentoo,

Why should I? Suse (currently 8.2 with kernel 2.4.20) works just fine
for me.

that would
give you an up to date system, and you could check all issues with a
bleeding edge machine. I tried SuSe and RedHat in the past, but Gentoo
definitely blows socks, it's THE metadistribution with all the choice you
expect from Linux.

Well, then why is it that you have problems and I don't?
;-)  SCNR

Klaus

--
Malte Schröder