[vdr] Re: VDR 1.3.15 gets unusable slow after a short time

post wrote:

> > > After some time has passed, vdr seems to go to sleep. It still gives the
> > > live-signal on the FF output, but it does not react on remote-keypresses.
> > > In that state vdr is still running, and absolutely no error messages or
> > > abnormalities in /var/log/messages.
> > >
> > > I just did the test: Pressing the MENU button, and waiting. Nothing
> > > happens, looks like a complete ignore, live-signal still running on the FF
> > > output. Finally the menu-screen comes up, about 5 MINUTES after the menu
> > > key was pressed.
> > >
> > > What could be the problem?
> > >
> > > After a restart of vdr everything seems to be normal, but then suddently
> > > that behaviour kicks in without further notice. All the rest on that
> > > machine is running normally, I also have xorg-x11 + kde 3.3.1 installed,
> > > and actually I am watching the live-signal on my monitor using kvdr.
> >
> >Could be the old NPTL problem.
> >
> >Try
> >
> >   export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
> >
> >before running VDR.
>
> I thought, the NPTL problem has already been fixes in 1.3.13 (I just
> searched the mailinglist-archive, I saw several success reports concerning
> a NPTL enabled system).

So did I - but apparently it isn't so.
The next VDR version will contain the NPTL check again.

> BTW Klaus, I've read you use SuSe. Why don't you try Gentoo,

Why should I? Suse (currently 8.2 with kernel 2.4.20) works just fine
for me.

> that would
> give you an up to date system, and you could check all issues with a
> bleeding edge machine. I tried SuSe and RedHat in the past, but Gentoo
> definitely blows socks, it's THE metadistribution with all the choice you
> expect from Linux.

Well, then why is it that you have problems and I don't?
;-)  SCNR

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index