[vdr] Re: Which card support XxMC and only take one slot ? (for HDTV)

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:34:58PM +0100, Micael Beronius wrote:

> Hello Gregoire,

Hello Micael and others :-)

> Like I wrote in response to you in the "which hdtv card...", I really think
> that you should be able to do without xvmc, altoghether. But anyway; if you

Well, if I could still do with my Matrox G550 I would be really happy
:-)
Could you confirm me you are able to play HDTV on your computer without
xvmc and without xv (the G550 has an hardware limitation of 1024x1024
for xv) ?

> want DVI, my guess is that you will be happy with the 5200, which are fanless
> and does DVI ok. The 5200's are known to look a bit "washed out" on the vga
> port though, and with my 5200 card, I experience distorsion that looked like
> heat problem after wathing 1920x1080 for a while, but I have not heard about
> anyone else having this problem, so it may be my card that is a
> not-so-good-one.
>
> If you, on the other hand want good vga, I can recommend the 5700Ultra (which
> has a slightly better PCB and power supply than the non-ultras (= lesser
> noise in picture, but this is should not really be an issue on a regular
> monitor, but can be on a good projector (and that you are really looking for
> it (the noise) (good projector equals something like 10000??? and above, my
> guess)).

Well, I have a really good monitor (CRT) which don't make noise :-)

> There are also 6800's (have not tested them) that will fit in a single slot.

There something I really don't understand with those cards, are a 6800 a
6800 independantly of the manufacturers (MSI, ASUS, ...) ?
In my country we have a site to compare price of all the dealers, and
for gfx cards they give a lots : http://www.toppreise.ch/grp2_7.html
Are some manufacturers better than the other ?

Thank you very much, and sorry for knowing so little about gfx cards...
--
	Grégoire Favre
http://magma.epfl.ch/greg ICQ:16624071 mailto:Gregoire.Favre@freesurf.ch

Home | Main Index | Thread Index