[vdr] VDR and LCD-TV

Hi there,

anybody out there played with this configuration?

I've got a VDR-System based on a (diskless) EPIA-M with a Nexus-S (2.1 or 2.2, don't remember, but without J2), so no RGB signal. VGA on board, but no DVI. Don't know if the Hardware-MPEG-Decoder of the EPIA is supported by VDR or softdevide or something, 'cause I didn't need it till today.

Today I bought me a 30" LCD-TV (Thompson 30 LB 020 S4), 1280x768 Pixels. Cool device, but the picture quality of VDR is quite poor, not much better than analog tv. I think it's because of the S-Video signal.

The TV set has 3 SCART inputs (at least one with RGB), a VGA and a DVI input.

I've seen the device in the shop connected via DVI to a little PC, playing a DVD: Excellent quality! I want this level of quality here!

But - how to achieve?

Lots of questions come to my mind:

- would it make sense to get a Rev. 1.3/1.5/1.6 card to try the RGB signal?

- is it possible to use the onboard VGA (and the onboard MPEG decoder of the Epia-M) with VDR? Would that improve quality?

- is it possible to use any VGA-card with DVI with VDR? Is the EPIA-M6000 (600 MHz) powerful enough to do the MPEG decoding (from Sat-TV *and* DVD/(s)VCD?

- as the EPIA has only one PCI slot, the question above becomes a bit obsolete :-)

- I want an absolutely noiseless VDR system, which means passively cooled CPU. But I'd need two PCI slots (one for DVB card, one for VGA). Are there such boards available?

Any other ideas/hints?

TIA, Michael

--
Michael Reinelt <reinelt@eunet.at>