[vdr] Re: Default video dir

Emil Naepflein wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:09:23 +0100, Klaus Schmidinger
<Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:

The I assume you have one /video directory into which you have
linked or mounted all your various disks, haven't you?
In that case, dropping the linking feature of VDR wouldn't hurt
you - you wouldn't even notice...

The structure of my video directories is:

/video/00: This partition contains only the primary directorys and only links to
video files. This contains also genere subdirectories into which cutted
recordings are moved. Cutted recordings are the moved completely to one
of the secondary directories (01-14) including the meta files starting
from the highest number.

Fresh recordings are placed on video directories starting from
/video/01. The recordings are not automatically distributed over all
disks like in the standard algorithm. They first write the first
partition with enough free space full and then moves to the next.

/video/01 - /video/14:
Contain the actual recordings together with the meta files.

A loss of any of the partitions doesn't harm the other ones. Even if the
primary partition 00 with all the logic structure is destroyed it can be
easily recreated from the secondary partitions. I can migrate recordings
easily between partitions which is very useful when disk space is
extended. I can integrate a new disk into the read because I can do it
stepwise for each partition.
This all allows a absolut flat mounting scheme. It isn't necessary to do
nested mounts. And all the VDR commands work without any problem. If you
drop the links then I would have to do nested mounts which are very bad
in case of data loss.
Assume I have good old Linuxbox that I want to use as VDR,
it has one disk, size 20GB, no room for recordings,
so I make directory as /var/video
Also make directory /video and link it to /var/video or
direct VDR directly to /var/video

Then I add some physical disks and mount them as
/var/video/dsk1
/var/video/dsk2
/var/video/dsk3
.. etc..
I propably endup with my primary disk full and crashed system.

One should be able to add disks to /video structure without limitations.
Also one should be able to take a disk (/video) with structure of files
from some VDR and add it to other VDR.
Umm...

Home | Main Index | Thread Index