[vdr] Re: choosing a FF card

Ian Molton wrote:
Per Mellander wrote:

I appreciate that, but I would like to at least get the basic 768x576/2 lines per field with the correct field ordering that PAL offers...

I have one of those VGA-TV converters that was mentioned in a previous posting. Composite or S-Video outputs that gives you a possibility to watch VGA material on your TV. It's an ok device, but thats it.

but does it understand field-parity ?

Well you can go Window$ and use Powerstrip http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm I haven't tested it myself but it seems that a lot of people are using it with success.

What does it do? looks like it just allows tweaking of mode timings on some cards.

Sorry to disappoint you, but apart from Matrox cards, there is no way to output a video 1:1 i.e. without deinterlacing and with correct field-parity.
At least on Windows, you have this DVDMax mode which allows you to output the video like it would be with a stand alone device. While a G400 and G450 is only able to output upper field first, on a P650/750 you can even set the field parity - which is the proof that those cards can do an output as you (and me) want. But I havenīt followed the discussion on tv-out on linux in details, so I canīt tell how it works on linux.
I have read that nVidia and ATI cards have a tuner that works on a fixed frequency while on Matrox cards, this frequency can be slightly adjusted to maintain the sync.

Nevertheless: Look at presentations on multimedia or computer fairs: Big LCDs with smearing movements or bad deinterlacing, same with modern TV sets. So I ask myself if I should really care about this perfect tv-out topic anymore as nearly no one seems to be really interested in a really perfect TV picture... Nevertheless, I am going to stay with a 50 Hz tube TV as long as it is possible because interlace never dies :-)

Joerg

Home | Main Index | Thread Index