[linux-dvb] relating PTS to 'real' time

John Birch Johnb at screen.subtitling.com
Tue Aug 23 14:46:15 CEST 2005

There is no process relating PCR /PTS to real time (assuming by real time
you mean GMT or UTC etc)
PCR values wrap at an interval greater than 24 hours.
There is rarely any relationship between the PCR value and 'wall clock

The PTS relates to the PCR - that is the PTS is the presentation time stamp
for the content it is embedded in (video, audio or subtitles). When the PCR
value in the stream matches the PTS, the content should be presented (i.e.
the video frame should be visible, audio heard, or subtitle displayed).

Hope this helps...

John Birch
Senior Software Engineer,
Screen Subtitling Systems
The Old Rectory, Church Lane
Claydon, Ipswich, Suffolk

See us at IBC Amsterdam  9th-13th September Stand No. 1.441

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the Intended
Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is
privileged and confidential within the meaning of the applicable law.
Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this
message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended
Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient please destroy this email
and contact the sender as soon as possible.

In messages of non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the
author's own and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the
Screen Subtitling Systems Limited.

Whilst all efforts are made to safeguard Inbound and Outbound emails, we
cannot guarantee that attachments are Virus-free or compatible with your
systems and do not accept any liability in respect of viruses or computer
problems experienced.