[linux-dvb] AVERMEDIA 771 SETUP

DUBOST Brice dubost at crans.ens-cachan.fr
Tue Dec 13 00:09:35 CET 2005

hugo wrote:
> Hi list
> I'm looking for some advice configuring an Avermedia A771-B DVB-T PCI
> (with the MT352 chip) card on Linux.

I've got one

> When I try dmesg with just the standard drivers in the kernel I
> still get:
> bttv0: detected: AVermedia AverTV DVB-T 771 [card=123], PCI subsystem ID
> is 1461:0771
> bttv0: using: AVerMedia AVerTV DVB-T 771 [card=123,autodetected]

exactly the same one

> I have tried all these things with and without the sc_main.mc firmware
> code in the /lib/firmware directory.
> For whatever reasons I have to modprobe the dvb_bt8xx and mt352 modules
> Then in dmesg I can see:
> DVB: registering frontend 0 (Zarlink MT352 DVB-T)...
> When I try the scan utility from the dvb-apps, using the uk-Blackhill
> tuning file (provided with dvb-apps) all I get is:
> root at backend:# ./scan dvb-t/uk-BlackHill
> scanning dvb-t/uk-BlackHill
> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
> initial transponder 634167000 0 2 0 3 0 0 0

Try with an other transponder or,
Use windows to get the tuning parameter and edit dvb-t/uk-BlackHill by hand.
An other option : put everything auto excepted the bandwidth ( in
dvb-t/uk-BlackHill )

And try to scan again ...

> My gut suspicions are:
> 1) The Avermedia card A771-B (MT352) is not really supported under Linux,
> perhaps some old version using the Ali-bongo chipset (or whatever)
> possibly worked. If someone can confirm that this card is not really
> supported I will contact Trading Standards in the UK as Avermedia would be
> clearly misrepresenting their card (as to it's Linux compatibility) this
> is an offence under the Trade descriptions act - it might force Avermedia
> to either help the community develop a working driver (unlikely) or remove
> the false claim from their website.

It works well

> 2) DVB support in Linux does not really work in the UK - as the software
> is no doubt developed in the US/Europe then it is keyed to their
> particular broadcast systems and there is no hard support for the UK.

what the difference in the UK ?
DVB-T is very recent in France and it worked without any issue (excepted
with the hauppauge and linux 2.6.10-2.6.11)

> 3) The Linux DVB drivers actually require a theorectically perfect setup:
> perfect 100% signal reception, flat terrain with no obstructions more than
> 2 feet high between the receiver and the transmitter, also to be within
> 100.3 meters of the transmitter and to be aligned on a major ley-line.

I don't think so

> 4) It does all work but I need some super-duper experimental alpha release
> patch that is hidden in CVS in a disused toilet in the basement of LinuxTv
> HQ...

no I use a Linux vanilla kernel

> Sorry if I'm ranting, for the money and time I've wasted on this I
> could've bought a hardware PVR which would just work. Still would like to
> get Myth working as it has a couple of nice features.
> Guess my two questions are:...<drumroll>.....
> 2) In particular: does anyone in the UK have the Avermedia A771-B (mt352)
> DVB-T PCI card working under Linux and if so how.

I'm french sorry

> Any help would be gratefully received or if there is any extra info that
> you would like to know (as no doubt I have not mentioned a load of stuff).
> Even if my gut feelings are correct and it just doesn't work (never has,
> never will) then I'd be happy to know as then I could just go out and buy
> a PVR - once I'd whinged to Avermedia and Trading standards.....
> Many thanks
> Hugo

Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.
[Richard STALLMAN, free software song]