[linux-dvb] networked digital tuner project

Robert Schlabbach robert_s at gmx.net
Sat Jun 11 23:51:54 CEST 2005

From: "Brian Kuschak" <bkuschak at yahoo.com>
> At least for a first version, I lean towards
> simplicity.  The control messages would consist only
> of i2c messages, and pid filter control.  A UDP packet
> would be enough to convey these messages, and would
> make implementation easy.

How do you handle access arbitration then? What is supposed to happen when
two different clients try to reprogram the frontend hardware
simultaneously? Is it acceptable that they may disrupt each other's
operation, even up to a point which renders the network tuner completely
unuseable...?

IMHO the only way to make a _reliably_ working device is to completely
encapsulate all hardware access inside the device itself and ensure
serialized access there. I'd recommend not using an FPGA, but rather a
microcontroller. Give it enough computing power and program memory so that
you can put a fully-fledged firmware into it, which contains complete
frontend drivers and access control for multiple clients.

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach
e-mail: robert_s at gmx.net