[linux-dvb] udev creating device nodes too slow

Sebastian sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Tue Jun 21 09:41:07 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I use udev all the way and I use the dvb drivers as modules, because I
think if vdr hangs, or there are OSD problems, or when the picture stays
black, it could help to not only restart VDR but also reload the DVB
modules.
The problem is when I start VDR right after modprobing the DVB modules,
it exits with "No devices found". I have to use

modprobe ...
sleep 9

because 9 secs is the time it takes to create the DVB device nodes.

Now, is there a trick that would help udev to create device nodes for
DVB devices instantly? Or should I build the modules statically into the
kernel? Another solution could be removing udev and going back to devfs,
but as devfs is obsolete I'd like to stay away from that possibility.

Cheers

Sebastian
--
"What the f*** are we doing out here in the middle of the desert?" - A foreigner, probably Samoan