[linux-dvb] Pchdtvr changes

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Nov 1 01:00:17 CET 2005

I was wondering what the current state of development for
PCHDTVR was...  It seems like it's in an arrested state of
development until the DVB API stabilizes, from what the
website for the project claims.

Hmm...  I was thinking that without touching the DVB API
side, there could be some work done on the GUI.

I noticed that the following changes could be made:

(1) make more use of existing libraries, like ffmpeg, instead of
    replicating library functionality;

(2) modularize the "engine" of the code, and do separate UI's as
    wrappers

(3) potential UI's might include "curses" (since the existing version
    doesn't work with Gnome terminal cleanly anyway); a GTK+
    wrapper (the way that gmplayer wraps around mplayer); and
    maybe even an XML/UPnP interface so that it could be driven by
    a browser based Java applet.

Opinions?  Ideas?

Thanks,

-Philip