[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 and other (new) modulation standards

Rainer.scherg Rainer.Scherg at t-online.de
Wed Nov 23 12:58:04 CET 2005

there is another disadvantage, when having only one frontend
for combi devices.

You have to enhance the FE_GET_INFO and FE_GET_FRONTEND to
deliver tuning, modulation and capability information for several

Using separate frontend devices will avoid this.
What might be needed is a kind of chaining information for frontends.
E.g. a list of frontends on the same card, when querying FE_GET_INFO.

So a FE_GET_INFO on ".../frontend0" has to return add. information like:
    I'm am a super device, and i'm owner of...

If we do not get this into FE_GET_INFO without breaking compatibility,
we could do a FE_ENUMERATE or similar... (next new IOCTL).

Advantage: older application do not break (but there might be errors
like EBUSY for a decive).

Newer application have to check API version at runtime(!) if new
IOCTLs are supported by kernel (if not: fallback to old API or just
abort...). Here again my request for a simple FE_GET_API_VERSION...