[linux-dvb] Bad English

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sun Apr 9 11:42:28 CEST 2006

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> linuxtv at zacglen.com.au wrote:
>
>> Why are the Linux dvb devices are named /dev/dvb/adapterN/xxxM?
>>
>> Doesn't this just prove that computer programmers don't do well in
>> other subjects like English?
>>
>> An "adapter" is "one who adapts".
>> An "adaptor" is a device.

Well, I'm not a native English speaker, so my comment may be worth
nothing. But http://dict.leo.org says:

   adapter   also: adaptor [tech.]	das Anpassungsteil

>> Somebody should correct the glaring purile grammatical error before
>> it gets too deeply embedded.

Interesting - http://dict.leo.org doesn't know "purile", just "puerile":

puerile  adj.	 	kindisch [fig.]

Well, maybe those who fed http://dict.leo.org were no native speakers,
either...

> and change all applications that refer to adapterN ?
> I prefer to keep this grammatical error

Yes, having to change lots of applications because of this isn't worth it.

Klaus