[linux-dvb] Thoughts about supporting more complex tuners

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Fri Apr 14 14:57:39 CEST 2006

OK, after consulting with Manu a bit, my original idea isn't going to work
well. Here is an updated patch.

The initialisation sequence would now be:
struct dvb_frontend *fe = stv0299_attach();
stb6100_attach(fe);

The stb6100 attaches itself to the stv0299 using the (*attach_tuner)()
callback.

After that, the stv0299 is then responsible for controlling the PLL - so this
really just becomes a standardised/expanded way of how we do it already.

Main reason being - many of the enhanced demod tuning algorithms will need to
control the tuner directly - my idea of the frontend loop doing this just
isn't flexible enough.