[linux-dvb] compiled modules have megabyte size

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Mon Apr 24 21:21:17 CEST 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 20:00, Gregoire Favre wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 02:13:16PM +0100, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > Looks like the newer build system just includes loads more debug
> > information.... unsure if its needed or not.
> >
> > Linux needs some of the information removed by running plain 'strip', but
> > if you do 'strip -g *.ko' I think it should be ok (haven't confirmed for
> > certain tho).
>
> Any idea why this isn't the default behaviour ?

Not sure if its an accident or not; hg being the development tree, it kinda
makes sense to have debug information turned on... perhaps we should have a
new target which will strip the things before installing them tho for this
situation.

I'm not sure if the kernel will actually load the debug information tho -
which perhaps means it is a bit pointless... unless kgdb can use it? (I've
never tried that so I can't say).