[linux-dvb] Twinhan DVB Cab/CI (2031) problems

Zoilo Gomez zoilo at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 13 03:58:44 CEST 2006

I decided to do some tests using kernel 2.6.13.3, with following results:

1) locking problems occur using "dvbscan -v" (nut also ("vlc -v") in the
following situations:
=> 2.6.13.3 kernel with downloaded snapshot 20051202: locks fine,
dvb-scan returns 0x1f and dumps PMT quickly
=> 2.6.13.3 kernel with downloaded snapshot 20060115: locks fine,
dvb-scan returns 0x1f and dumps PMT quickly
=> 2.6.13.3 kernel with downloaded snapshot 20060715: no lock, dvb-scan
returns 0x00 + timeout!
=> 2.6.13.3 kernel with downloaded snapshot 20060717: no lock, dvb-scan
returns 0x00 + timeout!
=> 2.6.13.3 kernel with downloaded hg snapshot: no lock, dvb-scan
returns 0x00 + timeout!

So it seems that something has gone wrong between snapshots from January
and July, with these locking problems as a result.

The strange thing is that the locking problems do not prevent xine or
vlc from coming up with streaming data (picture), however in between
"vlc -v" prints 'no lock' every 15 seconds or so, but keeps going anyway

Of course I would prefer to use the latest dvb-version, but I cannot get
it to work for reasons mentioned above.

What could possibly be wrong?

Can someone tell me who has a more recent working combination (recent
kernel + recent dvb-snapshot)?

2) in all dvb-snapshot versions that have I tested, I always need to
remove the DST_TYPE_HAS_TS204 flag from the "DCT-CI" record in dst_list
(dst.c), or I will not get a picture; only a long list of TS
discontinuities. Aren't the necessary patches (Sept 2005) present in
recent snapshots? I don't understand why I keep running into this
problem ....

3) whenever I use a "working combination (eg. 2.6.13.3 + snapshot
20060115), I still have other tuning problems. When I change frequency,
I need to start vlc 2 times: the first time there seems to be no lock.
Ctrl-C, restart and ... locked ! If I pick another PID in the same TS,
there works the first time, so it seems clearly tuner related.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Z.

======