[linux-dvb] Question about Frontend performance (TDA10046 + TD1316), possible IP license collision

thomas schorpp t.schorpp at gmx.de
Thu Aug 17 12:18:18 CEST 2006

Respected Sir's & Mam's
hi Chun,

Chun Chung Lo wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
> As the STB is operating under linux kernel 2.4 (powerpc), so my driver
> is composed by several versions of DVB-T codes:

I hope You'll contribute to this project with "Your" drivers code.

http://www.astri.org/en/company.php:
"Our goals are to build teams of excellent researchers who conduct
 world-class research and create real economic impact by
*transferring the intellectual properties (IPs) they develop
in customer-focused ways to our industry customers, continuously and in volume.*"

> For SAA7130/4 driver, I used the source codes from
> http://www.linuxtv.org/download/kfir/mpex.tar.gz
>
> For the driver of TDA10046 + TD1316, I used the codes from linux kernel
> 2.6.16.18.

Please remember that the code You've taken as You stated is lawfully licensed by GPL.
So if You transfer derived (code or IP) works as stated above to Your customers
You must follow the requirements of this license in any case or
circumstance.
The GPL is protected by International Copyright Laws and Treaties.
To make it clear, You're not allowed to transfer this code or derivations into proprietary closed-source
STB Firmwares, same goes for the IP of the researchers of linuxtv.org You may collect here.
By contributing to an open-source project You accept the projects license automatically and lawfully.

> This message (including any attachments) is for the named addressee(s)'s use only. It may contain
> sensitive, confidential, private proprietary or legally privileged information intended for a
> specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it
> and notify the sender. Any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message and/or any
> attachments is strictly prohibited.

I take that as a forced "company default mailsystems footer" and will ignore it in this case,
otherwise the "consultants" here may bill Your company for the service You've already got
from one of the list members here.

Please have a word with Your CEO's about Your authorization
to contribute to the linuxtv.org project, in doubt,
thx.
We surely welcome contributions of excellent researchers, but only at our terms.

Regards,
T.Schorpp