[linux-dvb] How to compile the firmware into the latest driver?

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Aug 29 07:41:05 CEST 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 12:43, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Trent Piepho wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>>> I want the AV7110 firmware to be compiled into the driver.
>>> But I don't seem to be able to make it do that. I tried editing the
>>> linux/drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/Kconfig file and changed the default value
>>> of DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE_FILE to point to my firmware file's location,
>>
>> Use make menuconfig or make xconfig and then set the options like you would
>> if you were compilig the kernel.
>
> Actually that's what I want to avoid.
>
> I want to use an automated process

So want you really want to know is how to setup an automated process to
give you a special configuration?  That's totally different than compiling
the firmware into the driver.

You could just configure once, then use hg pull ; hg update to get the
latest source.  You should be able to build without re-configuring or even
re-compiling all the code that didn't change.

If you need some automated way to change the configuration.  I'd run make
allmodconfig first, then edit v4l/.config with sed/perl/whatever.  You
might be able to just use:
echo CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE=y >> v4l/.config
echo CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE_FILE="/firmware/file" >> v4l/.config

You might need to mantually run make_myconfig.pl after that.