[linux-dvb] Re: What has happend to Manus repositories?

Steven Toth stoth at hauppauge.com
Tue Aug 29 16:40:05 CEST 2006

> I deleted my repositories at linuxtv.org, because of
>
> (1) a post on v4l-dvb-maintainer from Johannes Stezenbach
> <js at linuxtv.org> asking people to remove of unnecessary trees. It was
> getting quite hard to find out the trees from there as it was getting
> real cluttered.
>
> So i choose to put my patches/trees over here at.
>
> http://www.thadathil.net/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi

Manu,

I've been working on a 3 week old tree you gave me from thadathil.net.
Thanks for this. I've added support for a new S2 demod and tuner (for
the WinTV-HVR4000). I'd like to get the entire tree up on linuxtv.org,
at least people can comment.

I sense a level of frustration in your comments. Let me ask, in your
view what's the current position with multiprotocol? Is the ML close to
agreeing the general frontend ops/core changes? The thread has gone cold.

In the mean time,  from my perspective, commercial pressure to release
'half baked' drivers and/or core framework changes (to customers in
vertical markets) leave me in a difficult position. I don't want to do
that. It's a horrible scenario. Neither do I want to be seen as pushing
a commercial agenda... simply because I'm not. I want what's best for
Linux, make no mistake about that.

I'm happy to hold off my vertical customers until the ML has a workable
solution and has some kind of long term future... except we don't seem
to be discussing/planning or moving ahead with any multiprotocol
review/change cycle.

Now I'm frustrated.

Johannes, any comments in terms of multiprotocol generally?

How do we get this project back on the rails?

Steve