[linux-dvb] Re: What has happend to Manus repositories?

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 15:05:48 CEST 2006

Hello Steve,

Steven Toth wrote:
>> I deleted my repositories at linuxtv.org, because of
>> (1) a post on v4l-dvb-maintainer from Johannes Stezenbach
>> <js at linuxtv.org> asking people to remove of unnecessary trees. It was
>> getting quite hard to find out the trees from there as it was getting
>> real cluttered.
>> So i choose to put my patches/trees over here at.
>> http://www.thadathil.net/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi
> Manu,
> I've been working on a 3 week old tree you gave me from thadathil.net.
> Thanks for this. I've added support for a new S2 demod and tuner (for
> the WinTV-HVR4000). I'd like to get the entire tree up on linuxtv.org,
> at least people can comment.
> I sense a level of frustration in your comments. Let me ask, in your
> view what's the current position with multiprotocol? Is the ML close to
> agreeing the general frontend ops/core changes? The thread has gone cold.

In my view, i think it has met all the conditions that has been put
forward. But i think it will need a bit of time to mature out, in terms
of testing etc. I wouldn't want to have it pulled before that. My tests
went on the dst and the STV0299

> In the mean time,  from my perspective, commercial pressure to release
> 'half baked' drivers and/or core framework changes (to customers in
> vertical markets) leave me in a difficult position. I don't want to do
> that. It's a horrible scenario. Neither do I want to be seen as pushing
> a commercial agenda... simply because I'm not. I want what's best for
> Linux, make no mistake about that.

Yep, i am also in that same boat, as regards to quality.

> I'm happy to hold off my vertical customers until the ML has a workable
> solution and has some kind of long term future... except we don't seem
> to be discussing/planning or moving ahead with any multiprotocol
> review/change cycle.
> Now I'm frustrated.

You have no idea, how much frustrated i am, right now.