[linux-dvb] [discussion] Frontend capable of reporting and supporting supported diseqc version

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Tue Dec 12 00:45:04 CET 2006

Manu Abraham wrote:

>Michel Verbraak wrote:
>

>>I did a search through the different mailing list archives but could not
>>find an answer to the following question:
>>
>>Why is the frontend/card driver (dvb-s) not capable of telling which
>>version of diseqc it can support?
>>

>In most cases, the demod handles the diseqc functionality. But there are
>cases where diseqc functionality depends on  hardware also (in the case
>of diseqc 2x) the receiver could have been not wired at all.
>

>>In the dvb_frontend_info struct or the enum fe_caps nothing is specified
>>about the diseqc version supported. Or should I look in some other file?
>>
>>What I currently see is that the different application,
>>vdr/kaffeine/mythtv, all can send diseqc commands but the user has to
>>specify the hardware connected to the card. But would it not be handy if
>>the driver at least could tell which version is supported by the card so
>>the application can suggest to the end user which options are available?
>>

>Only with diseqc 2x you can query back, functionality of the slaves.
>for Diseqc 2x handling, IIRC, FE_DISEQC_SLAVE_REPLY ioctl can be used.
>
>But only a diseqc 2x device will allow you to see what is behind the same.

I think the request here is not to get feedback from the switch, but to
be able to query the card driver what it supports. Does the card HW
support Diseqc 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.x?? In the current situation the
application basically has to have a table of card/driver with supported
diseqc level. This proposal, as i read it, is to add a call to the
drivers to report the diseqc level they support, so the applications can
make use of higher level of diseqc if supported.

As  i currently have a non-funcitonal diseqc setup, i am quit willing to
help with testing.

Cheers,

Rudy

P.S. the disfunctionality is in the linux drivers, as a DVB-S STB
connected to the switch functions without problems.