[linux-dvb] Re: Crash upon loading Nova-T 500 drivers

Robin Hill dvb at robinhill.me.uk
Wed Dec 13 14:54:11 CET 2006

On Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 05:22:41PM +0000, Michael Ditum wrote:

> When I install the module:
>
> dib0700: loaded with support for 2 different device-types
> dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T' in cold state, will try
> to load a firmware
> dvb-usb: downlaoding firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-01.fw'
> dib0800: firmware started successfully
>
> there was then a long pause (about how long it took me to write all that
> down) and then a load of messages scrolled past to do with page faults that
> I couldn't write down in time before some more stuff scrolled past.... It
> finished with a "Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal execption in interrupt",
> though every couple of minutes some other errors scroll past.
>
> When I reboot with the card inserted and the module still installed i got:
>
> Starting udev: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual
> address ea0a0a0
> printing eip:
> *pde = 1fb53067
>
> I have 3 Nova-500 cards and they are all doing the same thing. I've tried it
> in a HP ML350PG4 server and an IBM x226 server.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

That's very odd - here's what I get (on a reboot, so the firmware
doesn't need reloading):

dib0700: loaded with support for 2 different device-types
dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T' in warm state.
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T).
DVB: registering frontend 0 (DiBcom 3000MC/P)...
MT2060: successfully identified (IF1 = 1220)
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T).
DVB: registering frontend 1 (DiBcom 3000MC/P)...
MT2060: successfully identified (IF1 = 1220)
dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T successfully initialized and connected.

You're not trying to mix modules from the kernel tree & the v4l tree are
you?  I think you need to remove everything from
/lib/modules/XXXXXXX/kernel/drivers/media before running install on the
v4l tree.

HTH,
        Robin
--