[linux-dvb] TDA10086 (TT S-1401) DiSEqC problem

Chris Malarky chris at malarky.org
Sat Dec 16 16:36:41 CET 2006

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 00:41 +0100, Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Uwe Scheffler wrote:
> > Helmut Auer wrote:
> >

> >> Another problem with the TT1401 is the bad receiption sometimes. I
> >> know the tuner is not the best, but
> >> under windows its much better with this card.
> >>

> > I can confirm that.
> > Under Windows i can watch all transmitters without problems.
> > (both levels are at 100% (org. TT Software) ... which is not however
> > probably correct)
> >
> > Under Linux (Kernel-2.6.19.1) with Budget 1401 on DMAX with Femon:
> > Card #0 (Philips TDA10086 DVB-S) STR: 5252 SNR: 5959 BER: 000008c7 UNC:
> > 00000000 |L|S|C|V|Z|
> >
> > ...with Budget Nova 1102 on DMAX with Femon:
> > Card #0 (ST STV0299 DVB-S) STR: a480 SNR: dcaa BER: 00000000 UNC:
> > 00000000 |L|S|C|V|Z|
> >
> The tda10086 module still is in an early state. Additionally, the author
> seems to be very busy. I can't test DVB-S stuff, but if you are willing
> to do so, we can send you some suggestions.

We've been testing the card for a couple of months now, on both Linux
and Windows to try and compare results.  As far as we can tell it is
tuning properly and getting good quality reception.  We use it for IP
Multicast and if we weren't getting perfect (or near-perfect) reception
then we wouldn't have been able to do the data transfers that we've
done.

Andrew has been very busy, but he's hoping to be able to take a look at
the reported signal strength and SNR sometime soon.  We suspect that the
strength needs inverting (this would give us values comparable to the
Windows driver).  The SNR is a bit more complicated - we might have try
and get some readings with a meter.

In the meantime, if there is anything anybody wants tested I'd be happy
to oblige.

Cheers,
Chris
--