[linux-dvb] Unwatchable channels and strange behaviour of Hauppauge Nova-T Stick (update)

José Oliver Segura primijos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 17:37:08 CET 2006

On 12/18/06, Luca Olivetti <luca at ventoso.org> wrote:
> En/na José Oliver Segura ha escrit:
> >
> >       Anyway, as you said, the interesting point is that the TVE mux
> > seems to be a problematic one doesn't matter wich location/card (only
> > being important using the native windows driver or the linux one in my
> > case). I don't know if this can give us any clue to start doing some
> > research (once some days ago I was convinced that Higher frequencies
> > where causing reception problems but, again, today I've found that it
> > doesn't matter: I can watch channels transmitted at higher
> > frequencies)
>
> Another "interesting" thing with the TVE mux: I'm not sure I'm correctly
> managing the performance counters of my usb stick, but basically there
> are 2 post viterbi counters: an "abort count"  (i.e. uncorrectable
> packets) and an "error count " (number of error bits). By touching the
> screen on the coaxial cable I managed to keep both counters at 0, still
> the image is full of artifacts.
> I remember seeing the same on some satellite channels: no uncorrectable
> errors but still there are many artifacts.
> Maybe they're using some non standard mpeg encoding (that both xine and
> mplayer are unable to handle)?

       More on this: when I'm not able to tune "TVE 1", with femon I
can see that the only bit not active in status is the "V" (viterbi?).
I'm not sure what that means, but regarding the "non standard mpeg"
possibility, I'm afraid it is not sure: sometimes I can tune and watch
"TVE 1" without any problem (with mplayer), so... it seems that, when
"watchable", this MPEG stream is OK for mplayer.

       Now (with latest drivers and the patch to improve the signal
level on Nova-t sticks) I have one channel "Barcelona tv" (I think is
in the 4700000 Hz) that shows 0 BER and 0 UNC, but the image is almost
frozen (is not the same for your "TVE 1", but is curious to see that 0
UNC, 0 BER and LOCK seems not to assure watchable channels)

       Jose