[linux-dvb] SAA7146 / TDA10046H problem

Hartmut Hackmann hartmut.hackmann at t-online.de
Tue Dec 19 22:25:14 CET 2006

HI, Nick

Nick Fearnley (Digital Media Projects Ltd.) wrote:
> I can't see that IC, could it be integrated into the can?  The tuner is
> a TD1316A/SIHP.
>
> But the issue remains for the KNC variant of the budget DVB, the TU1216L
> tuner has the demod built in.  It exhibits exactly the same sypmtoms,
> recognised and firmware for the TDA10046HT loads fine but does not
> appear to get a lock on the frequency.  Most strange, I have noticed
> others have the same issue, certainly with the TT1500.
>
> Surely other have had the budget DVB variants of DVB-T working OK?  As I
> have said, I don't have a problem with the DVB-S budget cards so it must
> be tuner/demod related.  Is there any debugging I could do to provide
> additional info?

No, The IC isn't in the can. But if yo have the same problem with a TU1216,
this can't be the reasom. I have such a card runnig here. I never tried the
recent firmware 2.9 in direct IF mode (36MHz)  but i don't think that this
is the problem.
I remember this was discussed already but are you sure that the reception
parameters are right for your place?
2 notes regarding this:
- Some channel decoders ignore the parameters like FEC GI etc. and always
   determine these automatically. The TDA10046 driver doesn't. They *must*
   be right or set to automatic.
- In the UK, many transmitters are off the nominal frequency by +/- 166khz
   This is not always documented. Opposite to some other channel decoders,
   the current tda10046 driver can't compensate this.
So: If some other card works with your parameters, this doesn't prove that
they are right, sorry.

Best regards
    Hartmut