[linux-dvb] Twinhan 1034? Or some other DVB-S twin-tuner?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Dec 24 23:51:59 CET 2006

Hi there,

I see from the archives [1] that some folks are reporting preliminary
success with the Twinhan 1034 Mantis [2]. I really like the look of
this card, so would be grateful for any comments from anyone using it
to receive UK FTA channels on the Sky satellite, or just about its
performance & stability in general. Is it reliable to use in a
production system with expectations of 95%+ reliability?

I like look of the Twinhan 1034 because:
- it's available [3]
- it has twin tuners,
- it has the CI thingy for future CAM shits & giggles.

The most obvious alternative for UK satellite is the WinTV Nova-S [4]
- as I understand it that's well supported under Linux, but to record
two channels I need two of them, consuming an additional PCI slot; I
think the Twinhan would be cheaper. Also some of Manu's comments,
that "the Mantis PCI bridge can handle 4 different CA slots" [5]
suggest that Mantis is actually particularly cool hardware -
presumably the CAM can be applied to either channel (or both?)
without being physically swapped out.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.dvb/28950/focus=28950
[2] http://www.twinhan.com/product_satellite_1034.asp
[3] http://www.woden.com/html/desktop_tv.html