[linux-dvb] Vmalloc leak when stopping a DVB recording wrongly

Johannes Stezenbach js at linuxtv.org
Wed Mar 1 20:31:25 CET 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, Michael Pflüger wrote:
> I don't know if this is the correct mailing list for this, but i guess
> i'll try:
>
> I use szap and cat to record dvb stuff to my hd. (I got a skystar2 and
> kernel 2.6.15)
>
> now, when i want to stop the recording, those commands work without any
> problems:
>
> killall cat && killall szap
> killall szap && sleep 0.1 && killall cat
>
> however, when i first kill szap and immediatly after that kill cat, like
> this:
>
> killall szap && killall cat
>
> only the Vmalloc that is allocated after the szap call gets freed,
> the Vmalloc that is allocated after the cat call is not freed(even
> though both processes get killed). :/
>
> Calling szap -r <channel> allocates 136KB of Vmalloc, a call to cat
> allocates additional 1884KB,
> the latter doesn't get unallocated when killing the 2 processes
> "wrongly" as described above.

How did you determine that there is a leak? By looking at
/proc/meminfo? If so, why is this sufficient to determine
that there is a leak?

> Now i'd be happy if anyone could tell me why this is and if it is a
> known problem or if i should report it as a bug (the question would then
> be to whom?) :)

You just reported it as a bug ;-)

Can someone confirm this? And if so, does someone care
to look into it? Is it specific to the skystar2 driver
or does it happen with all drivers?

Johannes