[linux-dvb] AVerMedia AverTV DVB-T USB 2.0 (A800) question

Doug Scoular dscoular at cisco.com
Mon Mar 6 05:59:58 CET 2006

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Boettcher wrote:

> I have to admit, the way the signal strength is currently calculated
> is wrong and stupid.
>
> Problem is, to have really correct RF power calculation we need more
> information on the board and floating point operations in the kernel.
>
> OTOH, I repeat myself here, I don't see the reason, why MythTV is
> taking the Signal strength into account and drops a receiver from the
> list, when it is zero. In DVB we have much easier values to see if the
> stream is maybe garbled or not and this is the UNC and BER.

    Ah... maybe that's a bad assumption on my part... I'm finding it hard to
    follow the mythtv code... so maybe they aren't just relying on signal
    strength...

> Maybe it is worth for mythtv to add an option to disable the
> consideration of signal strength and SNR when using it with DVB.

    Again, maybe they are using UNC and BER... I'll have to try and
    spend more time figuring out their code. It's very difficult for me
    to follow I'm afraid.

    Many thanks for responding, oh! and a huge thank you for all
    your work on linux DVB.

    Cheers,

    Doug