[linux-dvb] Avermedia DBV-t USB 2.0 - Help

Doug Scoular dscoular at cisco.com
Tue Mar 7 00:49:37 CET 2006

Hi Howard,

A.H.Gilbert wrote:

>Hi Doug,
>
>Many thanks for your mail. I'm pleased and relieved to know that the A800 does
>truly work on Linux. I'll be following your suggestion re udev update. In the
>meantime would you please be kind enough to answer/confirm some points:-
>
>1. Does it work for you with the drivers listed in the DVB_USB_wiki, ie
> i2c-core, firmware_class, dvb-core.ko, dvb-pll.ko, dib3000-common.ko
> dib3000mc.ko, dvb-usb.ko, dvb-usb-dibusb-common.ko, dvb-usb-a800.ko or do I
>need more?

    Hmm, I too could never figure out which drivers to load so I
    just load a whole lot and let them fight it out ;^) Theoretically,
    modules.dep in /lib/modules/2.6.x/ should know which modules
    are dependant on others. Anyway I just have a /etc/init.d/ startup
    file which explicitly loads all these:

        modprobe dvb-usb
        modprobe dvb-usb-vp7045
        modprobe dvb-usb-dtt200u
        modprobe dvb-usb-dibusb-common
        modprobe dvb-usb-dibusb-mb
        modprobe dvb-usb-dibusb-mc
        modprobe dvb-usb-a800
        modprobe dvb-usb-nova-t-usb2
        modprobe dvb-usb-umt-010
        modprobe dvb-usb-digitv
        modprobe dvb-usb-cxusb

    Obviously, half of these have nothing whatsoever to do with the a800
    but they probably do no harm since they all should identify the
hardware first
    before initialising (correct me if I'm wrong here).  I guess I'm not
so sure about
    the modprobe dvb-usb-dibusb-mb versus the modprobe dvb-usb-dibusb-mc.
    Anyone on the list care to clarify if this is bad ?

>2. Do these modules, on your system, set up  /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0,
>frontend0, audio0, video0, dvr0, net0?

    My a800 is my second DVB device, device 0 is a PCI Hauppauge Nova-T
    so this is whats under adapter1 for the a800:

spug init.d # ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter1/
total 0
crw-rw----  1 root video 212, 65 Jun 18  2005 audio0
crw-rw----  1 root video 212, 70 Jun 18  2005 ca0
crw-rw----  1 root video 212, 68 Mar  5 13:17 demux0
crw-rw----  1 root video 212, 69 Mar  5 13:17 dvr0
crw-rw----  1 root video 212, 67 Mar  5 13:17 frontend0
crw-rw----  1 root video 212, 71 Mar  5 13:17 net0
crw-rw----  1 root video 212, 72 Jun 18  2005 osd0
crw-rw----  1 root video 212, 64 Jun 18  2005 video0

>3. To be able to watch and record TV programmes, I have available
>tvtime, xine, xawtv which (or other) do you recommend?

    Well, you'll know from my post that I'd prefer to use MythTV but
    it's not working with the a800. For viewing I'd recommend mplayer
    coz it can now use the channels.conf file and kaffeine looks nice
too. I've
    never tried VDR (but am tempted after mythtv 0.19 problems ;^) so my
    only experience with recording is with mythtv and a combination of
    tzap and cat. Oh and vlc (videolan.org) can do wonderful things with
    realtime transcoding of streams so you can stream video over fairly slow
    networks.

    Cheers,

    Doug