[linux-dvb] Re: Help! Is this a good signal for a WintTV Nova DVB-T card? and other questions

George Styles ripnetuk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 15:07:47 CET 2006

(This was sent to me, and ive forwarded it to the list for reference)

Hi,

Sorry for the off-list reply, but I'm posting from work on an MS machine
using an unsubscribed address.

I'm running ctvdr 4.5 (see www.heise.de - sarge based I think) with one
DVB-t and one DVB-s card. I too have noticed more glitches recently,
particularly on the BBC mux channels.

My transmitter is also Crystal Palace. BBC1 is usually fine but 3, 4 and the
interactive channels are particularly bad. Others are reasonably OK, even
though I have a poor aerial setup.

Not sure if the BBC have altered anything, but they use a technique called
statmux (I think that's the right term), which is basically an algorithmic
method of dividing up bandwidth across the channels. BBC1 however gets
constant bandwidth to ensure all the regional variations get enough share.

If BBC have fiddled with things, then this might explain why BBC1 is stable
here but not the others.

Have you checked whether there's any engineering work going on? I believe
the information is linked from somewhere on the BBC site.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/  forums and news can sometimes be useful  to
see if others are suffering the same problems.

I know it's not much help, but at least you're not alone :/

Feel free to post/quote this to the list.

Regards

Andy