[linux-dvb] Error "Unknown symbol in module" with today's Mercurial

Timo Laitinen timolai at utu.fi
Sat Mar 11 20:31:17 CET 2006

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:20:55 +0100 (MET)
"Jörg Knitter" <joerg.knitter at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to test the latest Mercurial drivers with Kanotix 2005-04
> which is
> based on Debian Sid and has been updated to kernel 2.6.15. But using
> "./insmod.sh load" gives me the error message: "error inserting
> './cx88-dvb.ko': -1 unknown symbol in module".

I tried it today, and noticed that a certain module must be loaded
before the cx88-dvb.ko . Unfortunately, I don't have access to the
computer I tried it with at the moment, so I can't say which one... But
you can find it the same way: check from dmesg which symbol it doesn't
recognize, rgrep the symbol from the v4l directory, and check which
".ko" it reports. Then add it to the insmod.sh script before the
cx88-dvb.ko.

I have no idea why it is needed and why it's not there, maybe someone
who knows/can, can add it to the script...

Another module that isn't loaded automatically/with the
script (at least with my configuration), is i2c_algo_bit, needed by the
bttv et al. Could that also be put into the insmod.sh?

--
Best Regards,

Timo