[linux-dvb] Re: videodev.ko not installed when using v4l-dvb (HG) and conflicting symbols

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Thu Mar 16 17:29:33 CET 2006

Chad Flynt wrote:
> C.Y.M wrote:
>> Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
>>> On Friday 03 March 2006 23:29, C.Y.M wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Regarding installation of videodev there still is the problem
>>> described here:
>>> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-January/007601.html
>>>
>>> This is about wrong order of includes in the Makefile.
>> Has this been fixed yet?  I am still not getting videodev.ko
>> installed until I
>> hack the Makefile.  I am wondering why none of the other developers are
>> experiencing problems.
> I get the same issue, unless I manually install the videodev.ko or
> like you say edit the Makefile so that it installs it.  Kinda a pain,
> but ya do what ya gotta do till it is fixed, hopefully they will
> address it soon!
I fixed this in my 'pending' tree two weeks ago, but Mauro refused to
merge my fix:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/pending

patch viewable at:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/pending?cmd=changeset;node=91fe5ce70b0b

I have become thoroughly frustrated in trying to explain to Mauro why
the #ifdef test fails in the inst_foo section of the Makefile, so I've
given up.  That tree will remain on linuxtv.org until he merges it or
somebody else proposes an alternate fix.

I have moved on, and I'm working on fixing some things for the in-kernel
build process.  Matthias says that the Makefile inclusion order is
wrong... Matthias, please propose a patch to fix it.

In the meantime, you guys can do the following to pull a clean
up-to-date tree containing this fix:

hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
cd v4l-dvb
hg pull -u http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/pending
make
make install

I hope this helps,

Michael Krufky

P.S.:  C.Y.M.  -- How did you find my ~mkrufky/2.6.16/ quilt series?  I mentioned it in #v4l just a few hours before you posted your email, but I don't recall seeing you in the chat room?  just curious...  Anyhow, proper 2.6.16 compatability has been applied to v4l-dvb master.