[linux-dvb] bt8xx docu fixes and other docu fixes; pci subsystem id flakyness

Gunther Mayer gunther.mayer at gmx.net
Fri Mar 24 22:46:52 CET 2006

Sigmund Augdal Helberg wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 15:04 +0100, Uwe Bugla wrote:

Possible root causes:
a) the card (or eeprom) is flakey; perhaps temperature dependent
b) the driver leaves the i2c bus on the card in a random state, so
sometimes the eeprom does not respond correctly

@Sigmund:
See if the correct pci subsystem id is reported ("lspci -vn") for
- multiple "halt" + plug off the power cord for 30 seconds (aka ice-cold
reboots), _without the driver ever loaded_
- multiple "reboot" (aka warm reboots), _without the driver ever loaded_
- repeat with driver loaded
At which point does "lspci -vn" stop to report the correct id?

To rule out flakeyness "multiple= 10 times"

>times not. When autodetection fails and no card= option is given for
>that card the computer locks up.

The lock up is a fatal bug and must be fixed in the driver.