[linux-dvb] bt8xx docu fixes and other docu fixes

Gunther Mayer gunther.mayer at gmx.net
Fri Mar 24 22:52:20 CET 2006

Ralph Metzler wrote:

>Edgar Toernig writes:
> > Uwe Bugla wrote:
> > >
> > > +In the following cases overriding the PCI type detection for dvb-bt8xx
> > > might be necessary:
> > >
> > > +2a) Running TwinHan and Clones
> > > +------------------------------
> > > +    $ modprobe bttv card=113
> > >
> > > +2b) Running multiple cards
> > > +--------------------------
> > > +
> > > +    $ modprobe bttv card=113 card=135
> > > +    $ modprobe dvb-bt8xx
> >
> > Is this really true?  Afaics, all of these cards should be autodetected.
>
>No, not all.
>
> > If the autodetection in the bttv driver will not work, the new probe
> > code in bt878.c would be in trouble too.
> >
> > I saw reports where the autodetect was not working (subsys-id nulled) but
> > in those cases the hardware was non-working anyway (hosed i2c bus) and
>
>No, the hardware is not not working, it is not there.
>The first Twinhan cards did not have an EEPROM.

Yes, sometimes the manufacturer just does not solder the eeprom.

This can be confusing to users
User A: My Card Brand Foo, Model X is autodected
User B: No, Mine is not.

Note: The cards lacking an eeprom are _not_ confirming to latest PCI
standards which declared the subsystem id mandatory.

There are examples on the gallery which show the _identical_card with
eeprom and without eeprom (e.g. twinhan).