[linux-dvb] Compro VideoMate DVB-T300 auto detect problem
- suggested code fix
james.lawrence at pobox.com
Wed Mar 29 00:59:15 CEST 2006
Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
> Hi, James
> James Lawrence wrote:
>> Hi Hartmut,
>> I started again from the top with yet another clean install of
>> gentoo. This time the kernel version was 2.6.15r7.
>> This time, when I modprobe saa7134 the card is recognized correctly
>> with PCI ID of 185b:c900, with NO CODE MODs.
>> I have not yet tested to see if the cards actually work - I will
>> post another reply only if they do not.
>> I have not yet checked the remote control issue as I have not yet
>> got that far. I will post a reply to that message when I have tested
> I forgot to reply, right?
> Ok, I removed the patch from the repository.
> Thanks for the info.
I saw the correct behaviour once only - now it loads with the wierd PCI
ID again. I think it is probably fair to say that the weird PCI ID is
due to some error on my computer or with my configuration so it would
not be appropriate to modify the repository.
I was playing around trying to get sound working, which involved
compiling the kernel and loading a variety of modules. Somewhere along
that path the machine started to read the PCI ID incorrectly again. I
tried to back out to the point where it would read the PCI ID correctly
again but the incorrect behaviour has stuck.
I don't understand the source of my difficulties but I am beginning to
wonder whether I have a flakey motherboard or whether there are
interactions going on in the software that are beyond comprehension for
my small mind. I am experiencing considerable difficulty - much more
than I have ever had before in all my years of computing and playing
around with things in the linux world I get frustrated enough each time
I look at the machine that it is at least several days before I loook at
it again. I am on the verge of unplugging everything and putting it away
for six months.
A hint as to my latest frustrations, which have nothing to do with DVB:
I have been very carefully following instructions for installing gentoo
and documenting what works on my wiki. And yet every time I try I find
that something else goes wrong. The time before last, it took inordinate
effort to get sound working. Last time I couldn't get LVM2 to compile
(never been a problem before ...), this time I can't get the machine to
boot because it keeps trying to mount the root partition as EXT2 when it
is reiserfs (never been a problem before ... and I can't see what I have
done differently - reiserfs is compiled into the kernel).
Sorry - I needed to vent. By the way, I have not yet got as far as
testing the remote control again.
More information about the linux-dvb