[linux-dvb] Compro VideoMate DVB-T300 auto detect problem- suggested code fix

James Lawrence james.lawrence at pobox.com
Wed Mar 29 03:07:38 CEST 2006

Mark,

Mark Callaghan wrote:

>James, Hartmut,
>I have also had "interesting" PCI ID behaviour from my Compro VideoMate, on
>FC4.
>
>I have seen the correct PCI ID in dmesg, but I usually get 1850:0000 (or was
>it 185b:0000?). I can't remember the exact ID. I've been using a
>modprobe.conf workaround to get the saa7134-dvb module loaded.
>
>My suspicion was that it was related to whether the machine was reset or
>went through a power-down.
>
>James,
>I have had a somewhat tortured path to getting things going also. There are
>many points to stumble on. But I am getting close. I have had the remote
>working. But perhaps like you, I get only brief periods to work on it,
>perhaps once overy 4 days to 2 weeks.
>
>Cheers,
>Mark
>

><snip>
>
>>I saw the correct behaviour once only - now it loads with the wierd PCI
>>ID again. I think it is probably fair to say that the weird PCI ID is
>>due to some error on my computer or with my configuration so it would
>>not be appropriate to modify the repository.
>>
>>I was playing around trying to get sound working, which involved
>>compiling the kernel and loading a variety of modules. Somewhere along
>>that path the machine started to read the PCI ID incorrectly again. I
>>tried to back out to the point where it would read the PCI ID correctly
>>again but the incorrect behaviour has stuck.
>>
>>I don't understand the source of my difficulties but I am beginning to
>>wonder whether I have a flakey motherboard or whether there are
>>interactions going on in the software that are beyond comprehension for
>>my small mind. I am experiencing considerable difficulty - much more
>>than I have ever had before in all my years of computing and playing
>>around with things in the linux world I get frustrated enough each time
>>I look at the machine that it is at least several days before I loook at
>>it again. I am on the verge of unplugging everything and putting it away
>>for six months.
>>
>>A hint as to my latest frustrations, which have nothing to do with DVB:
>>I have been very carefully following instructions for installing gentoo
>>and documenting what works on my wiki. And yet every time I try I find
>>that something else goes wrong. The time before last, it took inordinate
>>effort to get sound working. Last time I couldn't get LVM2 to compile
>>(never been a problem before ...), this time I can't get the machine to
>>boot because it keeps trying to mount the root partition as EXT2 when it
>>is reiserfs (never been a problem before ... and I can't see what I have
>>done differently - reiserfs is compiled into the kernel).
>>
>>Arrgghh!!!
>>
>>Sorry - I needed to vent. By the way, I have not yet got as far as
>>testing the remote control again.
>>
>>Regards,
>>James.

1850:0000 is the same number that I always get - from both of my cards
installed in the same machine. Interesting observation that you make
about whether the machine was reset or went though a power down - this
corellates with one of my theories. You've inspired me to test this,
which I'll do once I get the whole confounded mess to boot again.

For interest's sake - you are using FC4 - on what hardware? It would be
interesting to see if there are similarities. My experiences are on:
gentoo (previously SuSE OSS 10.0) 64 bit.
AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ CPU
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard with NFORCE3 chipset
2 x Compro VideoMate DVB-T300
some brand of video card based on NVidia 6600GT, 256MB
1GB RAM
300GB SATA disk

I am currently using the 2.6.16 kernel as there has been a fix since
2.6.15 relating to loading multiple saa7134 cards and getting sound
working on all of them.

Regards,
James.