[linux-dvb] Re: missing compat.h for dvbdev.h

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Fri Mar 31 00:46:21 CEST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Michael Krufky wrote:
> > If you try to take the current sources and put them into the kernel, it won't
> > compile cleanly.  You will still be missing compat.h, which is in (once you
> > get the Hg sources) v4l-dvb/v4l/compat.h.  It easy enough to make a link to
> > it from where it's needed, but you will still have other problems.  They
> > can be fixed, I compiled the Hg sources with kernel 2.6.12, but it's a pain.
> >
> v4l/scripts/makelinks.sh /path/to/kernel/source
>
> 4) build your new kernel as you normally would... This time, it will
> contain the latest bleeding-edge drivers from v4l-dvb.hg
>
> I hope you find this useful.

I wish I had known about that before I made more or less the same links myself
manually!

However, the problems I referred to still exist, the kernel will not build
cleanly.  At least 2.6.12 won't.

1. The i2c-id.h from Hg isn't compatible with the one from the kernel. All
   the kernel i2c stuff won't build.  I used the kernel i2c-id.h and
   just added the have dozen defines Hg needed to it.

2. The matroxfb driver won't build, because of videodev2.h.
   I thought maybe this was a bug in videodev2.h and sent a patch yesterday.

Also, the zoran driver source isn't in Hg (??), but is in the Makefile.  I
made the whole drivers/media/video directory a link into Hg, so this didn't
work.  The way makelinks.sh makes the links there is no problem.