[linux-dvb] [noob] Problems trying to make Dvico driver.

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Fri Mar 31 18:21:27 CEST 2006

nuffnough wrote:
> Hi.
> I am trying to set up a MythTV box with an Hauppauge TVR150 and after
> a bit of an attempt to get it running under the beta Ubuntu decided
> that it would be easiest to first follow the instructions at
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php and set up under Fedora (Core 5)
> first.
> It seems like I have managed to install the hauppauge drivers fine
> (though I haven't tried to view anything yet) but the instructions
> point to some older (seemingly outdated) articles that are confusing
> me.   So I tried to follow the isntructions at
> http://www.linuxtv.org/repo/#build.
> I downloaded the bz2 file (the gz file gets rejected by my tar for not
> being a gzip file, btw).  There was no v4l-dvb to cd into so I figure
> cd hg-v4l-dvb-76d3d3eefe84 is what I should be doing.  I try to run
> make as instructed and get the following output:
> ]# make
> make -C /root/build/hg-v4l-dvb-76d3d3eefe84/v4l
> make[1]: Entering directory `/root/build/hg-v4l-dvb-76d3d3eefe84/v4l'
> creating symbolic links...
> make -C /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2080_FC5/build
> SUBDIRS=/root/build/hg-v4l-dvb-76d3d3eefe84/v4l  modules
> make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2080_FC5/build: No such file or
> directory.  Stop.
> make: Entering an unknown directorymake: Leaving an unknown
> directorymake[1]: *** [default] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/build/hg-v4l-dvb-76d3d3eefe84/v4l'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

You will have to install the linux-headers package ... I'm not
completely sure what fedora calls it.  some distros call it,
"kernel-headers" others call it "linux-headers" ...

Also, since you will be using both the ivtv driver in addition to the
v4l-dvb drivers, you might also want to build the ivtv drivers along
with the rest of v4l-dvb.  (otherwise you run the risk of module
versioning conflicts) ...

To do this, run "make ivtv" before actually running, "make" ...  (This
step requires subversion)

Michael Krufky