[linux-dvb] Using card reader in a dreambox

Peter Fassberg pf at leissner.se
Sat Nov 4 23:23:07 CET 2006

> I have a dreambox connected to the lan here with a Sk* UK Free sat
> card in it.
>
> I would like to know if there is anyway I can use the card reader and
> cam from my linux box on the same subnet to view Channel 4 and 5
> using freevo / mplayer?

Unfortunately, afaik that is impossible.

However, if you use VDR and the softcam plugin (VDR-SC) you can do that.

I havn't tried it, but according to other postings is should work.

It's probably illegal in some countries, even if you have a valid
subscription.

I'd love to have a descrambler that can be used as a filter:

dvbstream | descramble | mplayer

In the Windows world it's almost there: http://joshyfun.peque.org/OfflineDescrambler/

I've used it once when I needed to record two scrambled programs sent
simultaneous on the same DVB-S transponder.

-- Peter Fassberg