[linux-dvb] hdtv scanning

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sun Nov 5 16:54:48 CET 2006

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Hmm, I would have expected that information to be in there somewhere.
> The decoder should be able to detect the encoding of the data stream
> by itself, without the application having to tell it what the data
> actually is.
>
> Klaus

from an application point of view it makes more sense to follow the model:

decode_pat()
foreach program
{
  decode_pmt() ==> identify the codec used by the stream_type
}

Moreover, the pes headers in mpeg2 are already overbloated with 90% of
useless crap;
adding more stuff would have been a bad choice, IMO.